Blogging refers to the process of creating, managing, updating and earning, by writing content on a website or blog. The entire process of Blogging, however, is not as simple as the above-given definition might suggest. If you tell your friends and parents that you are going to quit your job and make money by writing blogs they will faint. It is a common perception that the bloggers do not earn enough money and for most of the people, blogging is just a thing they do to when they have ample of free time. It is more like a medium of expression to the people who do not find the social media platform very receptive to their ideas and thoughts.
However, one must be aware that there are more blog readers than writers on the internet and most of the people love to well-written blogs as they serve as a source of useful information. This creates plenty of space and money making opportunities for the bloggers who can earn more by learning new ways and techniques of blogging.
Here is a step-by-step guide which will help you to earn money by blogging:
Find your niche
Before owning a blog you must identify the type of content you are interested in and think is more profitable. Most of the beginners get lured to a particular niche but after creating some content find it difficult and boring. This is time-consuming and definitely does not help you to generate more income. Firstly, determine who is going to read your blogs. A blog that targets all the age groups and touches them on an emotional level is sure to earn more visitors. Also, find out the bloggers who write a similar type of blogs. This will help you to know about your competition and by reading their content you will also learn to write more target oriented blogs. Learn their techniques but do not copy them. Discover your own writing style, polish it and always be ready to master new things. Learning new topics will only broaden your range and expertise as a professional blogger.
We suggest you select your niche according to your interests and skill-set. If you have experience in a particular field and choose to write blogs based on your experiences, it will bring more credibility to your blogs as people will trust your advice more. This will also attract people who work in similar fields and their experience will only help make your blogs more informative. Also, you can choose a niche which is lesser known but has less competition. For example, if you are a professional cook you can blog your recipes but remember that there are numerous well-known cooks who are already established in this category. Therefore, make it a point to share recipes and cuisines on which lesser amount of information is available on the internet. This will not only attract more people to your blogs but also will optimise your rankings in the search results as already little information is available on it.
Choose your platform
Many free platforms are available on the internet wherein you can post and publish your blogs. Tumblr and WordPress are among the many sites that provide free opportunities to blog. However, remember that you will not be able to control your blogs completely on these portals. If a publisher finds your content inappropriate he may remove your blog from the website. Also, you will have to share a considerable amount of revenue generated by your blogs with your host website. We, therefore, suggest you get your own domain name that provides a total control on all your content and blogs.
What is a domain name?
Domain name is your unique address on the internet wherein you may be accessed or contacted. Facebook.com, Hotels.com, and much more domain names clearly represent the name of the organization and its area of work. We suggest you select a domain name that will define your blogging niche. For example, if you want to write about easy online money making techniques, your domain name should be moneymaker.com or something related to online money making techniques. Make sure that your domain name is easy to memorize and contain some of the relative keywords as well as it will help to display your results at the top of search results.
Where and How to Get a Domain Name?
You can get your Domain Name in two ways:
Yourself: You can register a domain name together with a blog hosting plan in under 4 minutes with GoDaddy or BlueHost. The process is highly automated, and in 5-6 clicks, you will have your domain name purchased and your blog up and running!
Outsource: This is the easiest way to obtain a Domain Name. Fiverr.com is an excellent platform from which you can hire an individual to arrange both a web hosting service and a Domain Name for your blog all for $5 only.
Choose a reliable and powerful host
Every website requires a good web hosting provider that provides the space and control essential for keeping your website up and running. The service provided by your host must be reliable as the speed and security aspects of your website totally depend on the hosting configuration you choose to avail. Various web hosting companies are available on the internet which makes it altogether difficult while choosing a hosting service. The data of your websites are stored on the servers of these companies. Most of them provide unlimited file transfers, e-mail accounts, free domain names and much more on purchasing their plans.
Here are some of the best companies that provide an efficient blogging platform and blogging tools:
WordPress provides free storage space for your websites on their servers and is ideal for the bloggers who do not wish to spend money. It is also preferable for those who intend to upgrade their service on WordPress in the near future. WordPress.com is totally free and does not require any additional set up costs. It is easy to operate and no prior knowledge of coding and website designing is required to use the features of WordPress. Moreover, you get to choose from numerous themes that the WordPress offers to its users.
However, Word Press provides minimal access to their users unless they upgrade to a paid plan. If the content of your blogs seems inappropriate, Word press may remove it or terminate your site. The limited free version of the Word press looks less appealing and .wordpress extension for the domain is less productive as compared to the .com.
Word press also provides the services for a self-hosted blog, wherein you can access more features of the Word press at a minimal cost. By availing the self-hosting service provided by the Word press you can fully control the content of your blogs. Moreover, the additional plugins and themes enhance the overall look and performance of your site.
However, with its huge popularity, WordPress.org is often susceptible to security attacks.
TypePad is ideal for the professional bloggers who are willing to spend more money on their blogs. However, the additional cost pays off as your website looks extremely professional and you can choose from the various features they provide. Also, you will own your own website and control all the features by yourself. The unlimited storage allotted by the TypePad is an extra advantage for its users and it is easy to operate as well.
These are only some of the hosting service providers as there are other popular hosting providers such as Hostgator.com, Bluehost.com, and much more. You can choose the host as per your requirements and budget.
Now that you have selected your blogging platform, it is time to learn about do’s and do not’s of blogging.
Let’s start with what you should not do while blogging.
1. Never write content that contains fluff and filler words or ideas. If you can say something in three words, don’t waste an entire paragraph on it.
2. Never ever, try to copy-paste or plagiarize another person’s work. This is an unpardonable sin; not just for the readers, as the search engines will also penalize you. Google has a serious punishment waiting for plagiarizers called “Penguin” and “Panda”.
3. Do not post irrelevant content.
4. Do not post irrelevant backlinks.
5. Do not advertise irrelevant ads. For example, you cannot post ads for Viagra on an educational website.
6. Now let’s have a look at what you should do on your blog.
7. Regularly update; at least three times a week.
8. Provide fresh, authentic and well-researched content.
9. Introduce new and innovative ideas.
11. Keep checking stats with the help of Google Analytics, Word Press Stats, and other tools.
Qualities of a Super Star Blog Post
1. It will instantly get the reader’s attention with a killer headline.
2. The content and the headline are logically related and the reader can connect with it.
3. It does not propagate any kind of hate, bigotry, violence, discrimination or hatred; nor does it present lies or biased opinions. Remember that post – the one you read and instantly decided never to visit the blog or website it was on, again? Don’t let your blog suffer the same fate.
4. Invite guest bloggers; pay them if this is how they work. This will increase the credibility of your blog.
Steps to Build a Popular Blog
Now you have all the essentials that are needed to build a blog. However, there is still much to do; remember your aim is to earn more out of the blog, and for this, you need to construct one that stands out in the millions.
Step: 1 Write Headlines that Attract Instant Attraction: We all click on the links that promise something new and different. Similarly, we just skip the ones that do not attract us. Hence, we need to make the headlines keys that instantly open up the way to our great blog posts. Here is how you can do this.
1. The headline should not be more than 12-15 words long.
2. It should summarise what you are offering in the main body of the article.
3. The headline must be intriguing: it should compel the viewer to read further. Dull, boring and monotonous headlines can repel the reader.
4. A little tinge of controversy sometimes works wonders; however, DO NOT overdo it!
5. Numbers do wonders; for instance: top five ways, top three ideas, etc.
Step 2: Follow 4 Effective Steps to Increase In-Flow of Traffic
1. Set Backlinks. Backlinks are the hyperlinks that divert traffic from one page to another. Here is a great article on how you can successfully convert backlinks into sales: Click here to see an amazing free guide, Backlinking Strategy that Works. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is an effective way to optimise your blog’s content in such a way that it appears higher on search engines. Using relevant keywords and key phrases can help you a lot.
2. Social Media Marketing is currently the most effective tool. More than half the world’s population uses one or more Social Media platforms. You can link your blog to one or more platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Reddit, which are great sources of getting more visitors.
3. Build a mutually cooperative relationship with other blogs that are either centered on the same niche as yours or based on related niches, that way, you will be able to share readers and customers. What to know more about it? Here is a beneficial link: A Simple Traffic Generation Strategy You’re Probably Not Using – Take It!
4. Email marketing along with newsletters can help you expand your followers. You can ask all random visitors to leave their email address; however, you must keep in mind that the visitor will only be willing to stay in touch with your blog if it offers something valuable in terms of content. So basically, everything is back to square one: the content.
How to Retain Readers for a Long Time: The art of attracting and retaining readers requires smart thinking. Here are the top four ways to retain a loyal readership.
1. Make a schedule of posting new blog posts. When a reader is enticed by one of your posts he or she will be eager to read more from you. Thus, they will start waiting for the next masterpiece coming from your side; again, content is the kingmaker!
2. Communicate with your readers. That does not mean talking or chatting with them; instead, send them regular newsletters and respond to the comments they post. Indulge with the readers on social media; especially on Facebook and Twitter.
3. Attract readers to a “Special Day” post. Make sure the post is different from routine posts; it should be attractive to the followers of your niche, and you must deliver what you have promised. For example, you can ask your readers to send you limited length articles, and the top five posts could be published on your blog under the visitor’s/author’s name.
Now that you have learned about the do’s and do not’s, it’s time to monetize your blogging skills.
Here are the 5 ways that will help you to make money blogging:
AdSense of Google is one of the universally accepted methods that help you to generate more income for your blogs. All you need to do is to create an AdSense account and paste the advertisements of AdSense on your blogs. Every time a visitor clicks on these adverts you receive a payment in your AdSense account. However, you need to pull more traffic on your blogs for earning a considerable amount of profit.
Market your own products
Irrelevant advertisements on your blogs can be a huge turn off to the visitors. For example, if you are writing about delicious recipes and your blogs are reflecting adverts of branded clothes then the visitors may doubt the authenticity of your content. Therefore, we suggest you to market and sell your own products on the blogs which are also related to your content in some way or another. This not only brings more credibility to your blogs but will certainly help you to create a brand for yourself. We suggest this method especially for those bloggers, who invest their full time and money into blogging.
If you do not want to sell your own products, affiliate marketing is a way by which you can earn more money. All you need to do is sign up with an affiliate network like Amazon and market their products on your blogs. Every time a product is sold after being diverted from your blog or website, you earn a certain amount of money. Some of the affiliate networks even pay you for just diverting a visitor on their site. For this, you just need to paste the links of your affiliate partners on your blogs.
Once your blog has created enough excitement among the readers the space available on your blogs can be a utilized for advertisement of individuals, private firms, and even the media channels. This provides for a more steady income and you will also be able to identify the source of your income. A blog that pulls enough traffic will automatically attract the sponsors and save your time and resources that are usually required for contacting promotional counselors.
Charging fees for a paid review
Blogs that do not attract many visitors generally earn less income. However, there is no need to worry as the new concept of paid reviews has given rise to more income opportunities. In this method, you can charge the business firms for putting their customer reviews on your blogs.
Important note: The only concern in marketing the products of private firms and dealers is that you have to be assured of their quality and authenticity. A recommendation of a wrong product on your website can deteriorate the credibility of your blogs and maybe you will lose one of your loyal followers. Therefore, we suggest you to carefully monitor the advertisement links that are displayed on your blogs and if you find something inappropriate in these links please remove them from your website.
These are the ways to write, publish and monetize your blogs that will ultimately help you to generate a significant amount of money. However, please remember that these are not the only methods by which a blogger can earn money. New ideas and techniques are being invented and shared every day on the internet. You just need to learn and inspect them carefully as a wrong method can be utterly disheartening and will waste your precious time. Bloggers should also learn from their previous mistakes so that they don’t get repeated. With sheer determination and hard work, every aspiring blogger can become a professional blogger.