Full Stack developers in the developing world have emerged as a sought-after skilled resource because of the all-around development tasks they can handle in all types of app projects. An expert full stack developer single-handedly can develop a full app from scratch by taking responsibility for building the user interface layer and server configuration.
It is hardly any wonder that businesses are well after hiring full stack developers for their projects to reduce development costs without compromising quality. Before you decide to go for full stack developers, it is important to know their skills, technical capabilities and expertise.
Table of Contents
What Is a Full Stack Developer?
Full stack developers are the professionals in the software development world who can be tag-named as “jack of all trades”. But should be called experts of all trades in the development world. They have commands and skills for developing both the client-side or the frontend referring to the representation layer and the server-side or the backend referring to the server and API configuration required for running an app.
Even when businesses hire remote developers, they often look for full stack developers. Apart from the two fundamental development skills, they have a vast knowledge of the target operating systems, databases, third-party plugins and extensions, and UI/UX design. They can provide active help for anything within an app development project.
Let’s look at some of the critical responsibilities full stack developers have.
- Configuring a server by using PHP, ASP, Python, or Node
- Programming a database by using SQL, SQLite, or MongoDB
- UI/UX design of a software
- QA Testing and debugging
- Server-side API handling
- Maintaining clean and best coding practices
- Deployment in the target operating system environment
- Building APIs and RESTful services
- Evaluating security and performance lapses and addressing them.
Some of the most popular technology stacks mastered by full stack developers include
- LAMP stack comprising Linux operating system, Apache server, MySQL database, and PHP server-side programming language.
- MEAN stack comprising MongoDB database, ExpressJS middleware, AngularJS frontend framework and Node.js backend development framework.
- MERN stack comprising MongoDB database, ExpressJS middleware, ReactJS frontend framework and Node.js backend development framework.
- MEVN stack comprising MongoDB database, ExpressJS middleware, VueJS frontend framework and Node.js backend development framework.
- Django stack comprising Python, Django and MySQL.
What are the Top Skills Required for a Full Stack Developer?
We have a gross idea of all the tasks and responsibilities handled by the full stack developers. Now we need to go a little deeper and find out the particular programming languages, frameworks, tools, and development skills full stack developers should be versed with. Let’s have a look.
HTML & CSS
HTML or HyperText Markup Language is an elementary language for the web that shows the content on web pages. CSS or Cascading Style Sheets adds style elements for the web page with colors, design layouts, animations, etc. Together they make the fundamental building blocks of any web page.
Every app or software product requires databases to manage, store and handle data for different purposes. There are several kinds of databases popular in the market. Some of the most popular and widely used ones include MongoDB, SQL, NoSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL and several others.
Backend languages and frameworks
Full stack developers also need to handle server and API configuration for the application backend. For this backend development, some of the acclaimed languages and frameworks are Java, Ruby, PHP, Python, Node and others.
Testing & Debugging
Full stack developers, apart from shaping their apps to perfection through frontend and backend development, should also master the skill of QA testing and debugging. They maintain best coding practices and ensure that there is no error left in the code.
Because of their expertise with both server-side and client-side languages and frameworks, they can write test code for the app projects.
For every software project, it is necessary to roll out updates to fix errors, make value additions, or fix security lapses. There are changes in the code with every subsequent update, represented by separate update versions. Version control is the method to keep track of these changes and updates.
Git comes as the most popular platform to efficiently track code for different app versions. When many things go the wrong way, this platform can be used to revert to the previous version. Full stack developers need to be versed with version control mechanisms and platforms like Git.
Pros and Cons of Hiring Full Stack Developers
Full stack developers are increasingly getting popular. But hiring full stack developers has its darker sides as well. Let’s briefly explain the pros and cons on both sides.
- A small team finishes the entire project from start to finish
- Multiple skills in one developer results in cost saving
- Consistent vision for the entire project
- Generally, full stack developers are highly skilled and experienced professionals.
- Large projects needing specialists don’t need them
- Too much dependence on one or two developers can backfire
- Getting experienced full stack developers with the right skills can be challenging.
Full stack developers will continue to enjoy more popularity in the years to come because of small budget and startup app projects. But full stack developers also have to look beyond the handful of tech stacks and adopt new skills.