Travel cards, also known as travel credit cards, are financial tools designed to offer various benefits and rewards to travelers. These cards not only make handling travel expenses more convenient but also bring a range of perks that can enhance the travel experience. Here are some key benefits of using travel cards:
Table of Contents
Earning Points or Miles
- How it Works: Travel credit cards reward you with points or miles for your purchases. These rewards are not limited to travel expenses; everyday purchases also accumulate rewards, albeit at a lower rate. For example, you might earn 2 or 3 points per dollar spent on airline purchases and 1 point per dollar on other expenses.
- Redemption: The points or miles can be redeemed for various rewards like flights, hotel stays, and other travel-related expenses, making future travels more affordable.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
- International Advantage: Many travel cards do not charge foreign transaction fees, which are typically incurred when making purchases in other currencies while abroad. This feature can lead to significant savings, especially for frequent international travelers.
Travel Insurance Benefits
- Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance: These cards often include insurance coverage that can reimburse you for unforeseen changes in travel plans due to qualifying reasons.
- Baggage Insurance: If your luggage is lost or delayed, the card’s baggage insurance can cover expenses for essential items like toiletries and clothing.
- Cost Offsetting: Travel credit cards may provide travel credits that offset a specific dollar amount of travel expenses through statement credits, helping reduce overall travel costs.
TSA PreCheck/Global Entry Fee Credits
- Application Fee Reimbursement: Some cards offer up to $100 in application fee credits for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry. If these fees are paid using the card, they can be reimbursed through statement credits.
Airport Lounge Access
- Enhanced Travel Experience: Premium travel credit cards often include access to airport lounges, offering a comfortable and relaxing environment before flights.
Secure Payment Method
- Safety and Security: Travel cards offer a secure way to handle transactions. They are equipped with modern security features like chips, PINs, and continuous monitoring, and can be quickly deactivated and replaced if lost or stolen.
In conclusion, travel cards are not just about earning points; they encompass a suite of benefits that cater to the needs of travelers. From saving on foreign transaction fees to providing peace of mind through various insurance coverages, these cards are designed to enhance the overall travel experience while offering financial and security advantages. Whether you are a frequent traveler or just planning your next big trip, a travel card can be a valuable asset in your financial toolkit.