Display advertising is one of the most popular forms of online advertising. It is a type of online advertising that uses visuals, such as images, videos, and other forms of media, to promote products and services. In this article, we’ll explore the different types of display advertising, the benefits of using them, and the best practices for creating successful campaigns.
Table of Contents
What is display advertising?
Display advertising is a form of online advertising where businesses display visual ads such as banners, videos, or images on third-party websites or social media platforms to promote their products or services.
These ads are designed to attract the attention of potential customers and encourage them to click through to the advertiser’s website or landing page. Display advertising can be targeted based on various criteria, including demographics, geographic location, interests, and behavior, making it an effective way to reach a specific audience.
Display advertising typically involves buying ad space on a website or social media platform through an ad network or directly from the website or platform. Advertisers can bid on ad space and pay for clicks, impressions, or conversions, depending on their goals and the pricing model used by the platform.
Benefits of display advertising
Display advertising offers many benefits for businesses, including the ability to reach a wide audience, create brand recognition, and drive sales.
There are several benefits of display advertising that make it a popular choice for businesses looking to promote their products or services online. Some of the key benefits include:
- Increased brand awareness: Display advertising can help increase brand awareness by exposing your brand to a wider audience on third-party websites or social media platforms. This can help create a lasting impression and increase the likelihood of customers choosing your brand in the future.
- Targeted advertising: Display advertising allows you to target your ads to specific demographics, interests, behaviors, and geographic locations, ensuring that your ads reach the right audience.
- Higher engagement: Display advertising often includes eye-catching visuals and interactive elements that can grab the attention of potential customers and encourage them to engage with your brand.
- Cost-effective: Display advertising can be a cost-effective way to promote your business as you can set your budget and pay only for the clicks, impressions, or conversions you receive.
- Measurable results: Display advertising provides detailed analytics and tracking data that allows you to measure the effectiveness of your campaigns and make data-driven decisions to optimize your ads for better results.
Overall, display advertising is a powerful tool for businesses looking to increase their online presence and reach a wider audience with their products or services.
Types of display advertising
There are several types of display advertising formats that businesses can use to promote their products or services online. Some of the most common types of display advertising include:
Banner ads are the most common type of display advertising. These are graphical ads that are typically placed at the top, bottom, or sides of a web page. They can include static or animated images and can be targeted to specific audiences based on demographics, interests, and behaviors.
These are ads that are displayed as videos on websites or social media platforms. They can be in-stream ads that play before, during, or after video content or out-stream ads that appear as standalone videos within a web page.
These are ads that blend in with the content of a website or social media platform, making them less intrusive and more engaging for users. They are designed to look like editorial content, but are labeled as sponsored content. They are typically used to promote products and services and drive traffic to a website.
Pop-up and pop-under ads
These are ads that appear in a new window or tab when a user clicks on a link or visits a website. Pop-up ads appear in front of the current browser window, while pop-under ads appear behind it.
These are ads that target users who have previously visited a website or engaged with a brand. They can be used to remind users of products or services they may be interested in and encourage them to make a purchase.
Interstitial ads are full-screen ads that are displayed when a user navigates to a new page on a website. They are typically used to promote products and services and can be used to drive conversions.
Advantages and Disadvantages of display advertising
Display advertising offers many advantages for businesses, including the ability to reach a wide audience, create brand recognition, and drive sales. However, there are also some disadvantages to consider.
The main advantage of display advertising is the ability to reach a wide audience. Display ads can be displayed on a variety of websites, social media platforms, and other digital channels, allowing businesses to reach potential customers wherever they are. Additionally, display ads can be tailored to target specific audiences, allowing businesses to reach the right people with the right message.
The main disadvantage of display advertising is the cost. Display ads can be expensive, as they must be purchased from different websites, social media platforms, and other digital channels.
Strategies for display advertising
There are several strategies that businesses can use to make their display advertising campaigns successful.
Here are some effective strategies for display advertising:
- Targeted ads: Targeting your ads to specific audiences based on demographics, interests, and behaviors can help increase their effectiveness and drive higher engagement.
- Retargeting: Display ads can be used to retarget users who have previously visited your website or engaged with your brand. This can help remind users of products or services they may be interested in and encourage them to make a purchase.
- Ad creative: Creating eye-catching ad creative that stands out on the page and communicates your message clearly can help drive higher click-through rates and conversions.
- Landing pages: Creating dedicated landing pages for your ads that are designed to convert visitors into customers can help improve the effectiveness of your display advertising campaigns.
- A/B testing: Testing different ad creatives, targeting options, and landing pages can help identify the most effective strategies for your specific goals and target audience.
- Monitor performance: Regularly monitoring the performance of your display advertising campaigns and adjusting your strategies as needed can help optimize your results and improve your return on investment.
- Collaboration: Consider working with other brands, influencers, or publishers to reach a wider audience and build credibility and trust with your target market.
Overall, using a combination of these strategies can help businesses effectively use display advertising to promote their products or services online and achieve their marketing goals.
Platforms for display advertising
There are several platforms that businesses can use to run their display advertising campaigns. Here are some of the most popular platforms:
- Google Ads: Google Ads (formerly known as Google AdWords) is the largest online advertising platform and allows businesses to display their ads on the Google Display Network, which includes over 2 million websites and reaches over 90% of internet users worldwide. Google Ads allows businesses to create ads, target specific audiences, and track and measure campaigns.
- Facebook Ads: Facebook Ads is a popular platform for display advertising, as it allows businesses to target their ads to specific audiences based on demographics, interests, and behaviors. Facebook also offers a range of ad formats, including photos, videos, carousels, and more.
- Instagram Ads: Instagram Ads allows businesses to run display ads on the Instagram platform, which has over 1.21 billion monthly active users. Instagram offers a variety of ad formats, including photo, video, and carousel ads.
- Twitter Ads: Twitter Ads allows businesses to run display ads on the Twitter platform, targeting users based on their interests, behaviors, and demographics. Twitter offers a range of ad formats, including promoted tweets, promoted accounts, and promoted trends.
- LinkedIn Ads: LinkedIn Ads allows businesses to display their ads on the LinkedIn platform, targeting users based on their job title, company, and other professional criteria. LinkedIn offers a range of ad formats, including sponsored content, sponsored InMail, and display ads.
- Programmatic advertising platforms: Programmatic advertising platforms, such as Google Display & Video 360, allow businesses to automate the process of buying and selling ad inventory across multiple websites and ad exchanges, using data and algorithms to target the right audience and maximize the effectiveness of display advertising.
Overall, choosing the right platform for your display advertising campaigns depends on your target audience, marketing goals, and budget.
How to Use Display Ads Effectively
Here are some steps to help businesses use display ads effectively
- Define your target audience: The first step to creating effective display ads is to define your target audience. Who are you trying to reach? What are their demographics, interests, and behaviors? This information will help you create ads that are relevant and appealing to your target audience.
- Set clear goals: Next, define your goals for your display ad campaign. Do you want to increase brand awareness, drive traffic to your website, or generate leads and sales? Setting clear goals will help you measure the success of your campaign and optimize it for better results.
- Choose the right platform: Once you know your target audience and goals, choose the right platform for your display ad campaign. Popular platforms include Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, Twitter Ads, and LinkedIn Ads. Each platform has its unique features and targeting options, so choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Design eye-catching ad creative: Your display ads need to grab the attention of your target audience and stand out from the crowd. Use high-quality images, attention-grabbing headlines, and clear calls to action to encourage clicks and conversions.
- Use targeted messaging: Your messaging should be tailored to your target audience and aligned with your goals. Use language and imagery that resonates with your audience and highlights the benefits of your product or service.
- Test and optimize: Monitor the performance of your display ad campaign regularly and make adjustments as needed. Use A/B testing to compare different ad variations and optimize your ads for better results.
By following these steps, businesses can create effective display ad campaigns that reach their target audience, achieve their goals, and drive higher engagement and conversions.
Display advertising is a powerful tool for businesses, as it can be used to increase brand visibility, create awareness for products and services, and generate leads. There are several types of display advertising, including banner ads, interstitial ads, video ads, native ads, pop-up ads, and retargeting ads.
Additionally, there are several best practices that businesses should follow when creating display advertising campaigns, such as creating engaging visuals, using targeted messages, tracking and measuring campaigns, and using A/B testing. Finally, businesses can use platforms such as Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and Twitter Ads to create and manage display advertising campaigns.
Display advertising is a powerful tool for businesses, and if used correctly, it can be an effective way to reach potential customers and engage them with targeted messages. By using the best practices outlined in this article, businesses can create successful display advertising campaigns and maximize the effectiveness of their ads.
Display Ads vs. Search Ads: How Are They Different?
Display ads and search ads are two different types of online advertising that businesses can use to reach their target audience.
Here are the main differences between the two:
- Placement: Display ads are typically shown on websites or apps that are part of a network of publishers, while search ads are shown on search engine results pages.
- Targeting: Display ads can be targeted based on audience demographics, interests, behaviors, and other factors, while search ads are targeted based on keywords and search queries.
- Intent: Search ads are shown to users who are actively searching for a particular product or service, indicating a higher level of intent to purchase. Display ads are shown to users who are browsing the web, which may indicate a lower level of intent to purchase.
- Ad format: Display ads can include images, videos, animations, and other multimedia elements, while search ads typically consist of text-based ads.
- Cost: The cost of display ads is generally lower than search ads, as display ads tend to have a lower click-through rate (CTR) and conversion rate.
Display ads are better suited for building brand awareness and reaching a wider audience, while search ads are better suited for capturing users who are actively searching for a particular product or service. By understanding the differences between display ads and search ads, businesses can choose the right type of online advertising for their marketing goals and target audience.
Sizes for Display Advertising
Display ads come in a variety of sizes and formats, each with its own set of guidelines and specifications. Here are some of the most common sizes for display advertising:
- Medium Rectangle (300 x 250 pixels): This is one of the most popular ad sizes and can be used on both desktop and mobile devices. It is often placed in the content area of a webpage.
- Leaderboard (728 x 90 pixels): This horizontal ad size is often placed at the top of a webpage and can be used on desktop and mobile devices.
- Wide Skyscraper (160 x 600 pixels): This vertical ad size is often placed on the side of a webpage and can be used on desktop and mobile devices.
- Large Rectangle (336 x 280 pixels): This is a larger version of the medium rectangle ad size and can be used on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Half-Page Ad (300 x 600 pixels): This is a large, vertical ad size that is often used on desktop devices.
- Mobile Banner (320 x 50 pixels): This is a small, horizontal ad size that is often used on mobile devices.
- Billboard (970 x 250 pixels): This is a large, horizontal ad size that is often used for high-impact advertising on desktop devices.
It’s important to note that ad sizes and formats can vary depending on the advertising platform or network you are using. Before creating your display ads, be sure to check the guidelines and specifications for the platform you will be using to ensure that your ads meet the requirements.
Can I use Social Media or Google Ads For Display Advertising
Yes, both social media and Google Ads can be used for display advertising. In fact, they are some of the most popular platforms for display advertising.
Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn offer a range of ad formats, including display ads. These ads can be targeted to specific audiences based on factors like demographics, interests, behaviors, and more. Social media display ads can be a great way to reach potential customers on platforms they are already using and engage them with eye-catching visuals and messaging.
Google Ads also offers a range of display ad formats, including banner ads, responsive ads, and native ads. These ads can be targeted to specific audiences based on factors like keywords, topics, interests, and demographics. Google’s display network spans millions of websites, giving advertisers a wide reach to potential customers.
Both social media and Google Ads offer powerful targeting and tracking capabilities that can help advertisers optimize their campaigns and reach their marketing goals. However, the specific platform you choose will depend on factors like your budget, target audience, campaign objectives, and overall marketing strategy. It’s important to do your research and choose the platform that aligns best with your specific needs and goals.