The computer mouse facilitates numerous actions on the device, but keyboard shortcuts can also help with some tasks. And today you will learn how to turn off your PC using the keyboard without having to resort to mouse clicks.
Shortcuts can be especially useful when the mouse you use on your computer or the touchpad on your notebook is not working. Instead of leaving the PC/Computer on, just press a few keys to turn off the PC via the keyboard.
Table of Contents
How to Shut Down Windows Using Keyboard
It is possible to shut down the PC using the keyboard using simple shortcuts. The procedures work on versions 7, 8, 10, and 11 of the Windows operating system. The interface may vary slightly depending on the software version.
It is also worth noting that all the options are safe ways to shut down your PC using the keyboard and, therefore, there is no risk of corrupting or damaging your computer’s files.
Use the Win + X shortcut
- On the keyboard, press the “Win (window) + X ” keys to open a menu on the left side of the screen;
- Use the directional keys on the keyboard to move the cursor to the “Power off or exit” option;
- Press “Enter” or move the cursor with the arrow to the right;
- Use the directional arrows again until the option “Off”;
- Press “Enter” to shut down the computer.
Ready. With this, you will be able to shut down the PC by the keyboard using only shortcuts, without the mouse.
Use Ctrl + Alt + Del
- On the keyboard, press the key combination “Ctrl + Alt + Del”;
- Use the “Tab” key to navigate through the options until you reach the “Power” button icon and press “Enter”;
- Use the directional keys on the keyboard and select “Off”;
- Press the “Enter” button to turn off the machine.
Use the “Windows” button and Start Menu
- Press the “Win” key on the keyboard to open the Start Menu;
- Press the “Tab” key on the keyboard. You will see that one of the Start Menu items will have a white border;
- Keep pressing the Tab key until it stops at the three-bar icon at the top left of the Start Menu;
- Use the directional keys on the keyboard to scroll down to the Windows “On/Off” button and press “Enter”;
- Use the arrow keys again until the option “Shut down” and press “Enter”.
And ready. The computer will shut down without you needing to use the mouse.